Black Mold Cleanup

Black Mold Clean Up – A Simple Guide For Most Mold Problems

Cleaning up a moldy home can be intimidating. Especially if you have a significant amount of black mold growing on your walls or floors.

However, once you understand what you need to look for and how to address it, killing and remediating mold isn’t that hard. In this article we’ll offer up some of the most simple tips and methods for treating the mold in your home.

Before starting the mold remediation process you need to have some equipment and tools prepared. Below we list the most basic PPE (personal protective equipment):

  1. N-95 respirator masks – Can be found in any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. Get a minimum of 8 or more.
  2. Latex Gloves – Not just to keep your hands clean but encase you accidentally touch any hot or exposed wires.
  3. Tyvek Suit – Thoroughly cleaning mold is a dirty job. A tyvek suit will keep you clean and reduce the amount of mold your exposed to.
  4. Safety Goggles – To protect your eyes from debree, dirt, dust, and to also stop the absorption of mold toxins through your eyes.

You will also need some chemicals to actually clean the mold:

  1. Hydrogen Peroxide – For most jobs you’ll need about 1-2 liters worth. If buying the small bottles pick up around 4-6 of them.
  2. Bleach – Just 1 liter is enough for most cases.

Here are some hand tools or power equipment that will help a lot:

  1. Wire Brush – This is the most essential tool you’ll need.
  2. Powered Drill + Wire Brush Adapter – For use in bigger jobs.
  3. 2 – 5 gallon buckets – Because 1 is never enough.
  4. Wet/Dry Shop Vac – For cleaning up mold contaminated dirt and debree.
  5. Mini Air Pressure Paint Gun – For loading in cleaning agents and spraying ($60).
  6. Industrial Spray Bottle – Don’t get one from the $1 store, buy a good one.

Here’s some additional information to keep in mind before you start spraying and scrubbing any mold.

First, you don’t need an air pressured paint gun. If you have just a few sq 2 of mold, a spray bottle will suffice. However, if you have more than a little bit, you need to keep in mind that manual spray bottles must be squeezed with your hand.

Why is this a big deal?

Because you’re not cleaning windows. You need to transfer a large amount of liquid onto the wall in the form of a spray. This requires constant, nonstop squeezing of the trigger. Within just 5-10 minutes of spraying your hand muscles will tense up so much the pain is tremendous.

In less than 1 hour of spraying your hand muscles will be so sore you can’t spray anymore liquid. Even if you rotate hands it doesn’t matter.

Air pressured guns are quick and disperse peroxide into a much finer mist. You can cover a much larger area much quicker.

Keep in mind that on top of spraying you’ll be scrubbing. So you’re not just putting constant pressure on your wrists but your fingers, wrists, forearms, etc will burn out fast if doing everything by hand.

Do I need a powered wire brush or is a hand held brush enough?

Again, it depends on how you’re gonna work and how big your problem is. For a small section of a wall a hand held brush will work great. If you’re trying to treat an entire wall, ceilings, floors, you need a powered brush.

The goal is to spray all moldy areas with peroxide then wait for the mold to die. More stubborn areas of mold will need bleach.

Make sure your mask is on! We always wear full face respirators. And although inhaling peroxide vapors isn’t toxic, it can severely irritate your lungs. If you feel your throat getting sore make sure your mask is on nice and tight. If it is, put a second mask over it.

Also, bleach may seem “stronger” but it’s much more corrosive, can damage walls, rugs, fabric, wood and it emits tons of chlorine gas. Peroxide is just as effective and much safer.

How the process works? You spray down all the mold as you scrub it with a wirebrush then wait for it to dry. After all the walls are dry you come in with a vacuum to vacuum everything you scrubbed and all the debree on the ground. If you’ll be painting the walls afterwards with a mold resistant paint, be sure to clean the non-moldy areas as well. This will ensure you get good penetration with the paint which is very important in the long run.

Be safe!